Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lector Installation

Out of the goodness of your hearts, I beseech your prayers as I will be installed a Lector of the Roman Catholic Church tomorrow on the Feast of the Annunciation by my beloved Bishop, the Most Rev. Roger J. Foys. Though no longer treated as a minor order :'(, only men en route to the Orders can be installed a Lector and will serve as another significant stage as I progress, with the Grace of God Almighty, to Holy Orders.





The order of Lector is an ancient one, finding its root in the early Church. In fact, it was highly appreciated; it was not indiscriminately conferred upon any Christian of good standing; rather it was often granted as a mark of distinction to the learned and virtuous. Due to the limited number of men who were literate, the Office of Lector was of extreme value in the early Church. As legend has it, St. John Chrysostom was promoted to the office of Lector by the Bishop of Antioch and was already considered to be worth of the episcopal dignity due to this great learning and remarkable holiness.

Through the Middle Ages, the order of Lector carried two official functions. First, as the Pontificale assigns, "Lectorem oportet legere ei qui praedicat, et lectiones cantare." He must read the text which the preacher is going to explain, and sing the Lessons taken from the Holy Writ. Second, "Benedicere panem, et omnes fructus novos." He must bless the bread and the new fruits offered to God by the faithful. This function, however, is not and has not, for some time now, been in the present discipline of the Church.

The Lector is expected to read clearly and distinctly: "stude igitur verba Dei distincte et aperte, ad intelligentiam et aedificationem fidelium, proferre." Anytime I read then, both Scripture at Mass and announcements or letters or any other edifying text, may God grant me the grace to enunciate clearly and distinctly, not only for my own merit, but for the edification of the entire People of God. May I may the art of good reading my own with an apostolic zeal. May I never be a distraction with my words and may I never lead people to scandal by irreverent or theatrical reading; rather may I be clear, distinct, and reverent in my approach to the Holy Word so as to inspire the people of God with my careful and devotional utterances of the beautiful texts the Church maintains in Her Treasury. May I never scandalize through a hurried and graceless mumbling of the sacred words or through a theatrical reading that does nothing but take away from the merits, grace, and beauty of the Divinely Inspired Word, the Person of Christ, the Divine Logos.
May these words from St. Luke be my inspiration: "And he came to Nazareth, where he was brought up: and he went into the synagogue, according to his custom, on the sabbath day: and he rose up to read. And the book of Isaiah the prophet was delivered unto him. And as he unfolded the book, he found the place where it was written: The spirit of the Lord is upon me. Wherefore he has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor, he has sent me to heal the contrite of heart, to preach deliverance to the captives and sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord and the day of reward. And when he had folded the book, he restored it to the minister and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them: This day is fulfilled this scripture in your ears. And all gave testimony to him. And they wondered at the words of grace that proceeded from his mouth. And they said: Is not this the son of Joseph?" (Luke iv, 16-22)

O Jesus, lux vera, enlighten my mind, that I may clearly understand the nature and importance of the office of Lector which Thou didst exercise so eloquently as a part of Thy Divine and Sacred ministry of the salvation of man through you.

May God Bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment